ButterNut Squash (BNS) is a frequent visitor in my kitchen. I use them for sambar, curry, Curried butternut squash soup and this yummy raita. As any other raita, there is yogurt and what makes it unique is using raw mustard seeds with coconut. I learnt this recipe years ago from my aunt. It goes well with rotis. or any spicy pulao or vathakuzhambu.
The only pain in cooking butternut squash is peeling the lard skin. Life is made easier for those who don't want to do this by selling diced BNS.
I served it with rice and the left overs, was used as a spread on my tortilla rollups as lunch.
- 1 cup diced BNS, boiled and mashed
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 2-3 green chillies ( more if you like it hot)
- salt to taste
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup plain yogurt.
- Grind mustard seeds, green chilli, ginger and coconut with little water.
- add it to the mashed BNS
- add yogurt, salt to taste and mix well.
- Doesn't need any tadka.
Sending this to kiranjay and Priya's cooking with mustard seeds event.