The Moment I saw this cake here and there , I was determined to make it.
I liked the idea of adding coffee and used the recipe from not quite nigella.
It looked simple, no fuss and yet a tasty treat. Adding instant coffee bring out a great chocolatey flavor to this cake. The cooking time varies slightly with the power of your microwave. I stringly recommend the initial cooking for 1 min and then increase by 30 seconds as needed. I cooked mine for 1 min and 20 seconds.
Get Ready: ( serves 2 )
- 1 Mug
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt.
- ½ tsp instant coffee powder (optional)
- 3 tbsp chocolate chips ( optional)
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp oil
- A dash of vanilla
- 1 large egg
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, oil well.
- Add the dry ingredients ( flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, instant coffee powder) and incorporate well.
- Add chocolate chips, vanilla extract.
- Grease 2 coffee mugs with cooking spray.
- Divide the batter into 2 coffee mugs.
- Microwave on high for 1 min. the cake will rise, but will not spill if you use a big mug.
- Cook for additional 30 secs if you need a softer cake, or just 10 secs, if you want a gooey middle.
- Serve warm with vanilla, or coffee ice cream or whipped cream.
PS: Ask your DH and children to read this post as they can make it in a jiffy too!
This recipe is sure a keeper!