Hello friends! Been away from the blogosphere for a while! We are having scorching temperatures here and trying to stay cool seems a challenge!Here is a simple okra/ bhindi masala recipe made on a weekday! I used fresh and some frozen okra for this.
Did you know our " ladies finger " is called Okra in Africa, USA and phillipines! All other English speaking countries call them ladies finger! Many people are put off by the sliminess of Okra, but it is great source of fibre for our body. I have always made sambhar, vendaikkai fry, so cooking with tomatoes gave a different taste to okra for me.
- 2 cups chopped okra/ vendakkai/ bhindi
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 big onion chopped
- 1/4 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp asafetida/ perungayam
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
1. In a wide pan add 1 tbsp oil and sauté the okra with a pinch of salt for 10 mins. This helps to take the sliminess away. Set this aside.
2. In the same pan, add 1 tbsp oil and add the cumin seeds. Let them crackle.
3. Add the onions and fry till soft.
4. Add the ginger garlic,tomatoes and fry for few secs.
5. Add all the masala powders , pinch of salt and fry for a few mins.
6. Cover and cook till the tomatoes are mushy.
7. Uncover, add the okras and mix well.
8. Cover and cook on low flame for 5-7 mins
9. Uncover, check salt and spices. Add red chilli powder or salt according to your taste.
10. Let it cook uncovered for 2 mins and is ready to eat.
Serve hot with chapathi, rice.