Let me apologize that this post does not have step by step pictures, as I was in a hurry to make it.
A very easy to put together Spanish rice with Pace Picante Sauce. This brand that is readily available in all the grocery stores in USA. Normally Spanish rice uses long grain variety, but I had only Basmati rice and that is what I used.
One can use any salsa to make this.
Spanish rice is our tomato rice's sister, I guess!
I cooked the rice on a stove top. However u can use the rice cooker as well.
I made this rice and served with cheese quesadillas, sour cream and guacamole.
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 3/4 cup Pace Picante sauce ( u can use any salsa , add more if you want it a little tangy)
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- salt to taste
- chilli flakes to taste ( optional)
- Olive oil 2 table spoon.
- In a medium sized pan, add the olive oil.
- Add the onions and suate till translucent
- Add the rice ( I used unwashed rice) and saute till it changes color.
- Add the salsa, water, salt, chilli flakes to taste.
- Let it come to a boil and allow it to boil till most of the water is absorbed on medium to high heat, uncovered.
- Now lower the heat, cover and cook till rice is done.
- Fluff it with a fork, turn the heat off and enjoy