Poori and Bhaturae are a big hit among kids and adults. Fluffy and crispy at the same time, they are generally a crowd pleaser. I have tried to make bhatura couple of times before and it was not a successful attempt.
Recently, I had been to a friend's house for dinner and had poori's. They puffed up so well and my friend meticulously had them all rolled and stored in a box and was ready to fry. I was impressed by all the hard work she had put into, till I found out that they were actually uncooked tortillas. I am still impressed as how smart she was to do this and introduce this wonderful and easy poori or bhatura recipe to me. Thanks J!
Most of the supermarkets here in USA sell these uncooked flour and corn tortillas. They can be found near deli section on your supermarket in the refrigerated section. The most commonly available and popular brand is the " Tortilla Land" one.
I had to buy them ASAP after my dinner and could not wait ti try it at home and share the recipe with you all. I served with a simple potato masala, but you can serve with chole or any curry. If you are like me, you can eat it with sugar :).
The uncooked tortillas are big and I was willing to have a huge pan with oil. So I used a very sophisticated tool, hehe... a tiffin box rim and a katori to cut these tortillas into smaller circles. The edges will be fried or baked my me for tortilla chips. recipe will follow soon. With a small katori, i got 3 mini poori and with a tiffin box rim , a medium sized poori/ bhatura. Play with what you have at home.
- Tortilla land uncooked flour tortillas 1 packet
- Oil to deep fry
- Tortillas, ready to get out of the pack.
- Cutting circles. You need any circular utensil with slightly sharp rim. Press hard on the tortilla and cut the desired shape.
- First circle ready
- 3 small ones with a katori.
- The oil has to be smoking hot. Add the tortillas one at at a time, gently press to let them puff. Flip them over and cook on the other side till you get a golden brown color. You can see the tortilla puffing up!
So from this to this!
Any remaining tortillas, you can freeze them and use it with the time displayed on the packet!
So, friends, a very easy and quick recipe to impress your family and friends!