My mom was an inspiration for me to cook, and I miss her dearly. But I am happy that her sufferings have been put to an end. I know she is always there for me and my family in our thoughts and dreams.
So, here I am blogging in this new year. I missed you all friends and your mouth watering recipes!
How many of you recall the taste of" Khara bread/ khara bun" from Iyengar's bakey. A totally new take on the usual sweet buns that we have all had growing up in India, right!
Here is my attempt to re create the same flavor.
I'm telling you all it tasted pretty awesome and was moist 2 days later too!
Here we go with the recipe!
Get Ready: ( makes 7 muffins)
- 1 cup All purpose Flour/ Maida
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- salt to taste ( start with 1/4 tsp)
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegetable Oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp Vinegar
- 2 tbsp grated carrot
- 4 tbsp finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp chopped Jalapeno pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1/2 tsp oil to saute the veggies
- Pre heat oven to 375 F and line your muffin tin with liners.
- In a pan, add little oil and once hot saute the onion, carrot, jalapeno and red bell pepper for a few mins. turn heat off and set aside.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients together to incorporate well.
- In a bowl, crack the egg. Add the liquid ingredients into the egg and whisk well.
- Fold in the flour mixture, sauteed veggies to the wet ingredient. add salt as per taste.
- Pour 3/4 in the muffin cups and bake till a tooth pick inserted comes out clean for approximately 30 -35 mins.
Enjoy it warm with some butter spread or just like that.
One can add some Ajwain/ Carom seeds, Cilantro, Cumin seeds, whole pepper corns for some kick in the butt heat, or other herbs of your choice.
PS: The single balloon and present on the earlier picture was added by my 4 yr old. ( Er... tantrum made me do it :))
See, how fluffy it is inside!