Made this chole with left over spinach from my paalak paneer. It was super good and tasted awesome with chapathi's.
- 1/2 cup cooked chick peas or 1 15 oz can
- 3 cups chopped spinach
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 green chilli
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/ jeera
- 1/4 tsp asafetida
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- In a blender puree tomato, ginger and green chilli, set aside
- In a pan, add oil and once hot crackle the jeera and asafetida.
- Add the tomato puree, turmeric powder,coriander, cumin powder, a little salt. cover and cook for 5- 10 mins.
- add the chopped spinach, 2/3 cup water. cover and cook till spinach is soft for about 5 mins. add salt to taste.
- add chick peas, salt to taste and mix well.
- If too thick add little water till you get the right gravy consitency.
- mash a few chick peas with in the pot to give thickness.
- Add garam masala ( optional) and let it come to a boil.
- Turn heat off and serve with chapathi or poori's.