All time American favorite comfort foods are taken to the next level here.
Yes I'm talking about the famous Macaroni and cheese and the cupcakes!
Mac & cheese is not sweet, but cupcakes are! So how they go together?, Does it have frosting??
These were the questions thrown at me, when I told my son that he will have these cupcakes as an after school snack.
Well, these are the plain old mac & cheese in a cupcake fashion with bread crumbs as icing! How cool is that?
He ate these and gave me a thumbs up!
That made my day! Left over was packed for his lunch box too.
Thanks my dear friend Sugantha! :)))
This dish has a lot of calcium and protein from the milk, cheese plus the pasta gives the necessary carbohydrtae for the kids.
If you or your kid loves mac & cheese you are gonna love it too....BTW I'm not a big mac& cheese fan! Are you???
What you need: (made 7 cup cakes)
- 1/2 cup elbow macaroni pasta
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp Corn starch
- 1/2 tsp Djion mustard
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese ( i used mild, sharp would be better)
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bread crumbs a lot ( I used panko)
- Butter 1 tbsp ( optional)
- Pam spray
- Cook the pasta as per the pack directions. drain, toss some oil and keep aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Grease Muffin pans generously and dust them with the bread crumbs, & shake off the excess. (don't use cup cake liners)
- Add corn strach to the milk and let it come to a boil.Simmer the heat. Keep stirring & it will start to thicken.
- Add salt, pepper and mustard.
- If you want you can some chilli flakes too for that extra kick.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the grated cheese and fold in till it melts.
- Add the cooked pasta and chives.
- Add the mac & cheese mix to the muffin pan filling up to the top. ( remember it does not have eggs and will not rise)
- Top with bread crumbs and dollops of butter.
- Bake for 15 mins till the top is golden.
Serve hot or cold.