I had some left over basil leaves in my fridge after using it for my Thai Green Curry. I have been thinking of doing Hmm... May be pesto, may be a caprese salad, but never got around to do anything!
My mom said that she was going to make Milagu Kuzhambu, which is basically a spicy pepper and tamarind gravy reduced pretty well to be eaten with rice. So I suggested to her to use the basil leaves in it. Back home mom used to make the same gravy with tons of curry leaves. So why not try with basil!
Well, it tasted so good and I want to share it with you all!
Black Pepper has a lot medicinal values too..Check this out!
Helps to improve digestion, bactericidal and help to fight of cold and cough!
With School being started many kids and adults are fighting off colds and cough now. So here is perfect curry to combat the cold!
- 1 tsp black pepper corn
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Chana dal
- 1 red chilli
- 1/8th tsp Hing Asafetida
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Basil leaves a hand full
- Tamarind a small ping pong ball size
- 1 cup warm water
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp Ghee
1 tsp Oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
- Soak the tamarind in water for 5 mins and make a thick extract, keep aside.
- In a pan add 1 tsp ghee and roast the pepper corn, urad dal, channa dal, red chilli and hing till the dals are golden. Turn off the heat and add the basil leaves. It will wilt with the heat in the pan.
- Transfer to a blender and grind into a paste when cooled.
- Add the ground paste, turmeric powder, salt to taste to the tamarind extract.If it's too thick add a little water .
- In the same pan that you roasted the pepper, add some oil. When hot add the mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add the tamarind extract mixture and let it come to a boil.
- Simmer and cook till the raw smell is gone or the extract reduces to 2/3 rd it's original volume.
- Turn off the heat.
- Enjoy with rice and a spoon of ghee with any vegetables or papad.
and Akila's DNSW B
The Kick from the pepper will wake up all your senses if you are feeling "Blah" in the middle of the week! :))