Here I am with another traditional south indian dish, except with a very unconventional south indian vegetable. Paruppu Usili is a side dish generally made with beans, cluster beans, or plantain flower mixed with a crumbled toor dal,channa dal mixture. It is usually made on special occasions or on weekends as in my household as it takes a little time to do it. I've used asparagus instead of the beans.
Asparagus was on sale and why not use it!
- 1 bunch asparagus ( tender ones preferred)
- 3 tbsp toor dal
- 1 -2 red chilli
- 1/4 tsp asafetida
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- few curry leaves
- salt to tatse
- wash the asparagus and chop them like beans. discard the tough stalks.
- steam this asparagus in a pan or microwave with little salt and set aside.
- Soak the dal for 20 -25 mins with red chilli.
- coarsely grind them with a little salt and asafetida. Grease a idli stand and steam the ground paste in a pressure cooker for 10 -15 mins.
- Let it cool.
- In a pan, add oil do tadka with mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves.
- Add the steamed lentil paste and crumble it till crispy stirring constantly. may take 5 mins or so.
- Now add the steamed asparagus to the crumbled mixture, toss them all together.
- adjust salt to taste and serve hot with rice, sambhar or rasam.
Delicious paruppu usili is ready!