Manga (mango in tamil) kari is a quick and easy mango pickle made from raw mango. This is an authentic kerala dish. My mom and grandma always made this. It tastes wonderful with curd/ yogurt rice. I some times eat it with out any thing, just by itself.
You need crunchy, but not too sour mangoes for this. This pickle does not have any vineger or too much oil and hence does not last long.So make in small batches and enjoy.
What you need:
1 cup mango chopped into small pieces
2& 1/2 tbsp red chilli powder (you can increase this to your spice level)
2 tsp salt or according to taste
For tempering/ tadka:
1 tsp Oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 th tsp Hing/ asafetida.
1 red chilli, torn apart
How I did it:
- Add salt and chilli powder to the chopped mango and let it sit for about 20 -30 mins.
- This incorporates all the flavors into the mango.
- Do your salt and spice test and adjust accordingly.
- In a pan, add oil and let it heat up.
- Do the tadka with mustard seeds, Hing and redchilli.
- Enjoy pickle with a bowl of yogurt rice or parathas.