A trifle is a dessert made with fruit, sponge cake and custard. It's very English and dates back to the 15th century. Traditionally the cake is moistened with Sherry or Port and layered with custard and fruits.
I've enjoyed trifle during my stay in England and still remember the wonderful taste of it. I've tasted only the non alcoholic trifles from all major super markets there!
Anyway, I found this easy recipe on line here and had book marked it for a while. It came into action this weekend.
It's easy to put together, but sure a crowd pleaser.
What you need:
Jello Instant vanilla pudding 1 small container
Pound cake ( i used Sara lee frozen cake, thawed)
1/2 tub strawberries cut in thin slices
2 tsp sugar
2 kiwis , peeled &cut in thin slices
1/2 cup Whipped topping thawed
A pretty serving bowl.
How I did it:
- Make the pudding as per pack instructions.
- Mix 1/2 cup of whipped topping to the pudding & keep aside. This is our custard.
- Cut the pound cake into small cubes.
- add 2 tsp of sugar to the strwberriers and keep aside. This will remove the tartness if present int he stawberries.
- Arrange a layer of pound cake cubes ina dish. Spread a layer of the the pudding/ custard on top of the cake.
- Arrange your strawberries all over the custard. MAke sure you go to the side of the bowl too.
- Repeat the layer of cake, custard and fruit again till you come to the top.
- Decorate with any fruit of your choice on the top to awe people.
- Refrigerate for 2- 3 hrs before serving.