Enough of my bragging and let's get to the meat, I mean Rasam!
2 cups water
1 tsp rasam powder
1 green chilli slit
1 inch ginger, peeled and smashed with the back of your knife
1/4 tsp Hing
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 cup cooked toor dal
1/2 lemon juice, more for tang
cilantro and curry leaves
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 red chilli
- Pressure cook toor dal and keep aside.
- In a vessel add 1 cup of water, rasam powder, turmeric powder, hing, slit green chilli, crushed ginger, tomato, salt to taste and cook for 10 -15 mins till the tomatoes are soft and the raw smell has gone.
- Add 1 cup of water to the cooked toor dal and mix well with hand, tring to brak all the lumps of dal or with a spoon.
- It should be nice and soupy.
- Add it to the liquid from step 2
- Let it come to a rolling boil.
- Add cilantro and curry leaves and add salt if needed.
- Turn off the heat.
In a pan, add ghee and temper the mustardseeds and cumin till they cracke. add it to the rasam.
Once the heat is off, add the juice from half a lemon. Don't boil after adding the lemon as it may become bitter.
Drink as an appetizer on a cold day, if you're feeling under the weather or just enjoy with rice and vegetables on any day.