The scorching heat in the south does not stop anybody to pop these fritters in their mouth to add up the heat!
It's a perfect snack with evening tea. I would like to share the basic Bajji batter which can be used to fry anything from onion, potao, green peppers, egg plant or bread as bajji's.
All you need is:
5 parts of Besan/ gram flour
1 part rice flour
a pinch of Hing/ asafetida
1/4 tsp Baking soda
Red chilli powder and salt to taste.
Mirchi / long green chillies
Oil to fry.
How I did it:
- Mix everything with water to form a smooth batter.
- The batter should be thich, but not too thick.
- When you dip your finger in the batter and take it out, it should coat your finger and very slowly drip, almost like a thick idli batter.
- Keep the batter aside.
- Slit the chillies in length, keeping a bit of their stem.
- If you don't want it too spicy, remove all the seeds from the inside.
- Dip in the batter and deep fry till golden and crispy.
The Jalapenos in the pics are just for garnishing. I didn't dare to make them as bajji's and end up having an upset stomach!