Friday, December 17, 2010

Butternut Squash Erissery and being tagged!


A traditional kerala feast includes a variety of dishes made with lots of coconut. Nothing can beat the taste of freshly grated coconuts. Being a palgat brahmin, coconut is a must in most of our cookings. Times have changed and frozen coconut is a staple in my freezer. This is my family recipe and I hope you will enjoy it too!

Some dishes to name are  Olan , Pulissery, Thoran, Kalan and Erissery. Traditionally it is made with Chenai ( yam) and plantains. I replaced it with butternut squash and it tasted excellent.
  Using coconut oil brings out the best flavor of this dish. The black pepper gives a nice kick to the erissery.

Get Ready:

  • 2 cups butter nut squash cubed
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper corn/ kurumilagu
  • 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 red chilli
  • 2 tbsp dessicated coconut
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
  • Salt to taste

For the tadka:

  • 2 tsp coconut oil/ olive oil
  • 1 tbsp dessicated coconut
  • 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
  • 3-4 curry leaves
Go:
  • Add enough water just to cover the butternut squash in a pan.
  • Cook till soft, not mushy with turmeric powder and salt to taste.
  • Grind the pepper, red chilli, cumin, coconut with a little water to form a nice paste. ( no need to roast them)
  • Add the ground paste to the cooked squash and mix well, without mushing up the squash too much.
  • Let it come to a boil and turn the heat off.
  • In a pan do the tadka. by spluttering the mustard seeds. curry leaves and fry the coconut till golden on a low fire.
  • Pour the tadka an the erissery.
  • Serve hot with rice as a  side dish.
Nithu  tagged me and gave an excellent idea to pick and choose questions from 3 fellow bloggers. And that's what I did!
1. Who inspired you to cook or bake?
My parents and the foodie in myself! He.. He...
2. What is your take on organic food? is it a big deal for you?
I have accidentally bought organic bananas in the past and thought,"Gee! these bananas are expensive!" I then tried buying milk, but was getting way too expensive. They became like sour grapes for me and went back to regular food. so, bottom line, not a big deal!
3. You try a new recipe and it does not turn out good,what will you do ?

I will feel miserable all day and look back to see, what went wrong. Once I identify where I screwed up, I will give it a try again and may be even again. Three strikes and it's out from my recipe collection!
 
4. Do you have a New Year's resolution-and will you be sticking to it?
 
I really want to avoid snacking junk. At work, there is always easy access to cookies, cakes and brownies as it's someone's birthday all the times. I want to have the guts to say no to my cravings and keep it under control.

5. Do you time your breakfast,lunch & dinner or eat when you are hungry ?
 
I strongly believe in eating meals on time. Untimely meals may increase one's chance of developing acid peptic diseases and binging later.

6. Name three ingredients you consciously avoid or eliminate even when the recipe calls for it ?
 
Parsley, too much cheese, olives

7 . Name three things you have to use in most recipes ?

Oil, cilantro and mustard seeds.

It's my turn to tag these gals ... and pass the link to your friends!

Aipi
Kiran
Priya mharorajasthanrecipes
Prathima
hamareerasoi
chitchatcrossroads
Nitha

Happy weekend for you all!

11 comments:

  1. Loved your recipe, very new recipe and thank you so much for tagging me. Now, it is my turn to post it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyyy...This is a lovely recipe!! And thx a ton for tagging me..Its too cool!! Will immediately start to work on them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,

    Nice to know more about youu...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved the recipe for eruseri ! and nice knowing u priya !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious erissery..so yummy, great to know more about u:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erissery looks extremely irresistible Priya, glad to know more about u..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, very very delicious looking erissery!
    Your answers made for a interesting read and thanks for tagging me Priya..I will try to post my answers soon:)


    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice n yummy errisery..frst time...u hv nice space..glad to follow u!

    http://subhieskitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks For stopping by! Your comments are very valuable, so please leave your two cents!