Saturday, October 30, 2010

Ribbon Pakoda


It's diwali in 1 week and every household will be gearing to make lots of sweets and savory dishes to celebrate.
I miss Diwali back home. I have good memories of celebrating this wonderful festival. Me and my brother would be so willing to wake up early, take bath, put on new clothesand will be ready to blast off all the fire works. Too bad my kids are not getting that opportunity to celebrate.
But, one day, I will take them to see diwali in India.

Ribbon pakoda is a crisp snack prepared in many households in the south during diwali.It resembles a long ribbon and hence the name. It' easy to make and even easier to finish it once you make! Before making this make sure you have the murukku press or ribbon pakoda press to make it.

I am giving you the ratio of besan to rice flour and you can make as much or  as little depending on what measure you use.

Always use 2 besan/ chana dal flour to 1 rice flour. The rest is all like a breeze! Trust me...

Get ready:

  • 2 cups besan
  • 1 cup rice flour
  • 1/4 tsp Asafetida
  • 2 tsp red chilli powder ( can omit this if you don't any spice)
  • 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 cup water, used very little at a time
  • Oil to fry.

Go:

  • Mix, all the flour, asafetida, salt, chilli powder and butter.
  • Add water little by little, eveb sprinkle it and form a soft dough. Do not add the whole cup of water in go, other wise you will have bajji batter. to make the pakodas crispier, add 1 tsp of hot oil while making the dough.
  • Heat oil for deep frying.
  • Take a ball of the dough and put inside the ribbon pakoda press.
  • Squeeze into circular shapes into the hot oil.
  • Deep fry them till golden or till it floats on the oil.

Enjoy!
Check out my Thenkuzhal as well for diwali snacks

12 comments:

  1. lovely colour and looks crispy and tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks fantastic..and absolutely love the colour! great snack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard a lot about this one..love the name ribbon pakoda :)..looks so crispy and crunchy ..tempted to try it out..thanks for sharing Priya!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  4. The perfect ribbon pakoda. superb click.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ribbon Pakoda is one of my favourites. I a m happy to see it come live here. I pray you are able to spend good time with your entire family during Diwali in India at the earliest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woww crispy ribbon pakodas makes me drool, my fav..

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my fav snack..OMG i am craving some...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks crispy and delicious. Thanks for your comment on my site which in turn led me to yours...you have a lovely space here !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so perfect n delicious .........

    Cheers n Happy Cooking,
    Satrupa

    http://satrupa-foodforthought.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pakodas look so crispy and uniquely shaped. Must have tasted delicious.
    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi



    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks For stopping by! Your comments are very valuable, so please leave your two cents!