But my little one loves mushrooms and has been in my grocery list all the time. I had this carton of nice fresh looking button mushrooms and wanted to make an one pot meal for this weekend. My husband is away and I have some left over potato for my son.
Isn't this is the perfect time to make shroom pulav?
I would like to share a tip that I learnt from one of the popular web shows about mushrooms. To prevent them from wilting during cooking, steeple them in hot water. They reatin their original shape and cook well too.
I love coconut and added some coconut milk to this pulav, but ifyou are not a fan of coconut, you don'y have to use it.
This is what I used:
1 cup basmati rice, washed and soaked in a little water for about 30 mins.
1/2 cartom mushrooms sliced inti 1/4 '' thick slices
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 medium onion
1tsp ginger garlic paste
2 tbsp coconut milk powder
1 bay leaf
2 green cardamom pods
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 star anise
Coriander powder, pulav or garam masala powder according to your spice threshold
Oil 3 tbsp
salt to taste
To steep mushroom.:
2 cups of water
salt a pinch
2 tsp lime juice.
- In a pan boil water, add salt and lime juice and turn off the heat.
- add the mushrooms, cover and let it steep for 10 15 mins.
- Drain shrooms, do not throw away the water. we can use it to cook rice.
- In a pan add oil. When hot add the cinnamon,bay leaf cloves, anise, cumin and cardamom. Saute till you get a nice aroma.
- Add the onions and fry till golden.
- Add the GG paste and saute for a few seconds till nice aroma comes.
- Add the mushrooms and peas and fry for 10 mins.
- Now add the rice and fry for 5 -10 mins till it changes light color.
- Now add all the spice powders.
- In the water that we reserved, add half a cup.
- In the other half cup of water add the coconut milk powder & whisk.
- Add the coconut milk to the rice.
- Check for salt and spices.
- Let the rice come to a boil. Now cover turn the leat down a little and cook till the rice is done. It takes about 10 - 15 mins.
- Fluff the rice, simmer and cover the rice for another 5 mins. Just make sure there is enough moisture and don't let the rice stick to your pan.
- Turn off the fire.
Can you see those mushrooms all sepaarte and juicy! The left overs are for my lunch tomorrow..:))