What you'll need
1 japanese egg plant ( this is what i had)
1 samll onion
1 cup basmati rice
1 tbsp ghee
2 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp urad dal
For the masala powder
1 tsp oil
1inch cinnamon stick
1/2 star anise
1/4 tsp mace
1 1/2 tbsp corainder seeds
1 tbsp channa dal
1 tbsp coconut
- Wash and drain the rice for 20 mins.
- Cut the egg plants in small dice, smaller the better
- Salt the egg plant and sprinkle turmeric powder and set aside for 20 mins. this will remove any bitterness in the eggplant and helps in faster cooking
- Slice the onions.
- In a pan add the ghee and fry the rice for 5 mins till it's fragrant. This will give you individual grains once cooked.
- Cook the rice with 1 1/2 - 2 cups of water depending on how cooked you want.
- Let the rice cool thoroughly.
- In a pan add 1 tsp oil and roast all the ingredients for the masala and the 1 tsp of garam masala. Let it cool and grind coarsely and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add 2 tbsp oil. Once it's hot add the mustard seed and let them pop. Then add the urad dal and fry till golden.
- Add the onions and fry till they are done. add the eggplants, salt to your taste.
- Remember that you already salted the egg plants
- cover the pan and cook them till soft with minimal stirring.
- Once they are done, uncover and add the ground masala powder.
- Cook till there is no moisture in the eggplant. Turn off the fire.
- Add the cooled rice and toss every thing together.
- Serve hot with raita.
This will serve 2 people.