The festival season has just started! we still have Diwali, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year and many more to come. We all will be cooking many fancy things to enjoy with our friends and families.
But we still need to cook our basic rice, dal, rasam, idli, dosa etc.. A perfectly hor plate of idli's or dosas would be incomplete with this super flavored onion chutney. I used pearl onions which gives a tons of flavor. One can easily replace it with red or vidalia onions. Yes...I know peeling those little pearl onions is a task, but think of the chutney... you won't mind doing that job!
I am sure you are checking your kitchen to see if there are some onions lying around! Using the red pearl onion gives a nice color to the chutney.
- 1 cup pearl onions peeled
- 2 red chilli ( i used the round small ones)
- 1/4 tsp tamarind paste
- 1/2 tsp jaggery powder or to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- A pinch of hing/ asafetida
- curry leaves 3-4
- Grind the onions,red chilli, tamrind paste, jaggery and salt to a fine paste. No need to add water.
- In a pan do the tadka with mustard seeds, urad dal and hing.
- Add the onion paste and cook on medium heat till the water evaporates and the chutney leaves the sides of the pan. i.e for 2-3 mins.
Serve with hot steaming idli's, crispy dosas or with rice!