I have not posted a whole lot of eggless recipes when it comes to baking! I had tried a few which mainly called for baking soda or baking powder. However, I did not like the after taste of baking soda when there was nothing to over power it's taste. I used flax seeds this time and i was very pleased with the final outcome.
My muffins were soft, they rose well and most of all did not have any after taste. They were soft even on day 3. The rule of thumb for egg replacements when using flax seeds is 1 egg = 1 tablespoon flax seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water. I had coarsely ground flax seeds in hand, which I powdered fine and mixed with water. It gives a gelationous base for the muffins.
The beauty of this recipe is there is no butter ! The recipe can easily be doubled .
Get ready (makes 7 muffins)
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp all purpose flour/ maida
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 over ripe bananas mashed
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tbsp flax seeds powder
- 3 tbsp water
- Pre heat oven to 400F. line muffin liners or spray the wells with cooking oil. fill some water for the empty wells, so you don't burn the pan
- Mix the chocolate chips with 3 tbsp of flour and set aside. this helps the chocolate chips not to sink at the bottom of the muffin
- Mix the flax seeds powder with water and set aside
- Whisk the mashed bananas, oil,flax seed mixture, oil and vanilla extract till creamy
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt to the the liquid ingredients and fold.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, making sure to not to over mix them.
- Fill the muffin liners 3/4th and bake for 15- 18 mins or till a tooth pick comes out clean.