Last week was busy and stressful. My parents went back to India and my little one started daycare. She has been so clingy to me that i barely have any time when I'm home. So whatever I cook has to be with least effort and time spent in the kitchen. I'm hoping that she will settle down soon and get over separation anxiety.
I am down with cold, runny nose and feeling blah....
A hot bowl of soup will definitely kick start my system as i had a full schedule of patients and was on call for the night. My pager started going off and I knew I had a long night ahead. I made this soup after coming home from the clinic, as i didn't want to eat anything.
Anyways, here is a quick and easy vegetable soup. I also added some pearl barley and firm tofu as I had them in hand. i used whatever veggies i had left in my fridge.
I did not actually measure anything except for the barley. Cooking with barley was introduced to me by friend Priya M, who has an excellent blog Now Serving.
Get ready: ( serves 1)
- 2 tbsp pearl barley
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 garlic
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/4 zucchini diced
- 1 hand full of chopped carrots
- 1 tbsp tofu cubes ( used them as they were having too much fun time in the house)
- a dash of dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- few sprigs of cilantro
- 2 tsp olive oil
- juice of a 1/4 lime
- salt to taste
- 2 cups water/ vegetable broth ( i used water)
- Soak the barley for 20 mins and pressure cook with enough water to cover it for 6-7 whistles.
- In a pan, add olive oil, saute the onion and garlic.
- Add the tomatoes and saute for few mins. Add all the vegetables and give a quick stir for few mins.
- Add the salt,seasonings, water, barley ,tofu and let it come to a boil.
- Adjust spices as per taste.
- Let it simmer till all the vegetables are done. if you think the soup is too thick add some more water to the desired consistency.
- Turn the leat off, add cilantro and lime juice.
Enjoy this steaming soup with a roll / garlic bread.