Tres leches or 3 milk cake is a famous latin or mexican dessert. A basic sponge cake soaked in 3 milks is something to die for. I first tasted it in Brooklyn, NY. There was this wonderful bakery in brooklyn where they sell individual servings of TL cake. My husband and my son always wanted to go there for a treat. It was R's birthday and I made this cake for him.
I followed the recipe from here
I, however halved the recipe and I still have some cake left in the fridge.
For the cake
3/4 th All purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup whole milk
1/2 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
3/4 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
mandarin orange slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F Grease and flour one 8 X 8 inch baking pan. You want it with some depth as you will pour the milk in.
- Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside.
- Cream butter or margarine and the 1/2 cup sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract; beat well.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture 2 tablespoons at a time; mix until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes. Pierce cake several times with a fork.
- Combine the whole milk, condensed milk, and evaporated milk together. Pour over the top of the cooled cake.The sponge cake will absorb all the liquids and will be so.. olala lah.....!
Spread the cool whip pn top of the cake and get creative by decorating with cherries, oranges, kiwi or strawberries.