This is a very healthy, protein & fibre packed salad. Could be enjoyed any time! Even though the name sounds like a mouth ful, the salad dressing is similar to the sweet chutney one makes for bhel puri. Why not do we use it as a dressing? i did and am happy that I did it. If you will like the tangy and sweet taste with a kick of chilli at the back, you sure will like it.
Get Ready: (serves 2)
- 1/2 cup Black Eyed Beans (BEB)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green and red bell pepper (Chopped to the size of the beans)
- 1 inch grated ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 3-4 dates
- 1 tsp jaggery/ brown sugar
- 1 small marble size tamarind
- 2 tbsp warm water.
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 dried red chilli
- salt to taste
- In a pan add 1 tsp of oil and roast the black eyed beans for a few mins. By this you don't have to soak the beans for it to cook well.
- Once cooled, cover with enough water and pressure cook for 4 whistles. You can omit this step if you want to use canned BEB.
- Soak the tamarind and dates in water for 15 mins.
- Add the cumin powder, red chilli, jaggery, salt to the soaked tamarind dates and blend finely. This is our dressing.
- Toss the cooked BEB, bell peppers, ginger, cilantro and the dressing till the dressing coats all the beans & peppers.
- Refrigerate or use immediately as a refreshing salad.