A cup of rasam will be the most welcoming thing for your stomach!
Gottu rasam or Goddu rasam is an easy rasm to make without any dal.
This recipe is from my grandma who used to make when we were sick.
This can be done in a jiffy when you don't have time to cook. Also it's very comforting to eat with hot rice, ghee and papd if you ahve a cold or feeling under the weather. My kids are fighting a cold and this is perfect for that.
If you want to drink it as a soup, it's even yummier!
If you want it fancier you can add chopped tomatoes or garlic, but usually not needed.
Appalam/ Papads are an standard accompaniment in thesouth with rice. Usuallu it is deep fried or fire roasted. I have an electric stove and i found spraying the appalam with cooking spray and nuking for 30 -40 secs gives very nice fried taste with less oil.
- marble sized tamarind
- 1 & 1/2 cups water
- salt to taste
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- a pinch of asafetida
- few sprigs of cilantro and curry leaves ripped
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 3/4 red chilli ( dried one)
- take 1/4 cup of water and add the tamrind to it. You don't have to even take the extract.
- Add turmeric, asafetida, salt to taste to the tamarind water.
- Let it boil for 5- 10 mins till theraw smell goes away.
- Now add the remaining water, curry leaves, cilantro and let it come to a boil.
- In another pan, add ghee and do the taska with mustardseeds, cumin, redchilli and add it to the rasam.
Rasam is ready!