Shrikand is a popular West Indian desert made with Yogurt. It is very creamy and served cold and balances the heat from the curries. Yogurt is strianed to remove all the whey water and the creamy part is used to make this wonderful dessert.
One could use either home made yogurt or store brought fat free yogurt and strain it or for a quick fix use greek style yogurt. Greek yogurts are generaaly much creamier than the fat free one.
I made the saffron, pistachios and almond one. One could use any seasonal fruit puree to make it more special and colorful.
You need these to make Shrikand:
Fat free yogurt 1 cup
Powdered sugar 1/2 to 3/4th cup depending on how sweet you want
warm milk 1 tbsp
saffron threads a pinch
pistachios chopped 2 tbsp
sliced almonds 2 tbsp
How I did it:
- Put yogurt ina cheese cloth or muslin. Twist gently and tie a knot at the top.
- Hang it from a faucet or leave it on a strainer with a bowl underneath for 4-6 hrs. If you don't it to be sour, keep it in the refrigerator.
- Discard the whey water.
- Soak the saffron in warm milf and rub it with your finger. This is infuse all the flavor of fragrance and give you a beaytiful orange color.
- Add powdered sugar to the strained yogurt and mix well.
- Add the infused saffron to the yougurt and mix well till creamy.
- Add the chopped nuts and reserve some for garnishing.
- Serve chilled.
I made this for fathers day and my family enjoyed it.
Please give your valuble comments.