Saturday, June 19, 2010
The spices i have used are mild, compared to Indian standards. If you are up to some heat adjust the spices accordingly.
1/2 of a large russet potato, peeled & cubed.
1 clove of garlic
3 small tomatoes
1 cup spinach
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp garam masala.
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp oil.
water 1/3 cup as needed
1. Wash the potatoes and cook separately till soft, but not too mushy.
2. Boil a pan of water, add the spinach and cook for 2 mins. drain the water , let it cool. make into a puree and keep aside.
3. Add oil in a pan. when it is hot add the cumin seeds and let it crackle.
4. Add the onions and garlic and saute till they are brown. it takes about 10 mins.
5. Add the tomatoes and saute till they are mushy.
6. Add all the spice powders and salt to taste and fry till the oil separates on the top.
7. Now add the potatoes and pureed spinach , a little water and let it simmer for 10 mins.
8. Serve hot with rice, roti's or chappathi's.
Adding a little bit of heavy cream or plain yogurt will make this dish much richer.