Pav bhaji needs no introduction to people who have tasted it. For others, Pav is a roll and bhaji is vegetables. pav bhaji includes a mixed vegetable curry, where the vegtables are finely minced and the ncooked in a spicy sauce with a special masala pav bhaji masala. Adding butter to the dish gives it a smooth silky texture. Pav bhaji is a very popular street food in India and is served with pav toasted with butter!
I used frozen yeast rolls as my pav, but one can also buy pav bread in Indian stores.The ingredients are pretty much the same, flour, yeast...You get the picture right!
Get Ready ( serves 4, medium spicy)
- 4 cups mixed vegetables chopped ( beans, carrots, cauliflower, peas and potatoes)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno/ green chilli chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 3 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp pav bhaji masala or use chaat masala
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- chopped red / regular onion rings
- chopped tomatoes
- lemon wedge
- Cook your dinner rolls/ pav as per instructions and set aside.
- In a wide pan add 4 cups of finely chopped vegetables and add water just enough to cover the vegetables. add a little salt. Cook till the water boils, simmer, cover with a lid and cook till veggies are soft, but not mushy. Turn the heat off.
- Mash the cooked vegetables coarsely with a potato masher.
- In another pan, add oil and saute the onions, green chilli and ginger till the onions are light brown.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and fry till the raw smell goes
- Add the chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes are mushy and oil separates.
- Add the mashed vegetables, salt to taste, pav bhaji masala and water to make it a little dilute. Don't add too much water.
- Once it comes to a boil, add the 2 tbsp of butter and turn the heat off.
- Garnish with cilantro.
To serve, toast the rolls half slit on a skillet with butter.
Add the bhaji on the side and serve with chopped red onions, tomatoes,lemon wedge and more cilantro.
One can add garam masala if needed. Make it as spicy as you wish!
Sorry for the picture quality!