Bell pepper curry is very much liked by the adults in my household. Kids somehow don't seem to care for it a lot! It really bugs me when I have to prepare 2 different things, one for kids & us!
When I was a kid. if we don't like something, mom said " Just eat what is served on the plate, you don't have to go for seconds"! Me and my brother we followed the rules and till date, and grew to like vegetables that we hated!
But that rule is not working for me with my kids. Either I am not strong in disciplining them, or.....see, I don't even have a second reason!
Hoping one day my munchkins will eat bell pepper raw!!!
I tasted this besan bell pepper curry at my Gujarathi friends place and fell in love with this version! I have tweaked it to my taste and her it is!
Cooking the besan on a low/ medium heat over 20 -25 mins will give a nice crispy base for the bell peppers. The besan coats and sticks to the peppers and tastes great. Try this and let me know if your family likes it or not!
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers ( used yellow and green)
- 2/3 cup Besan / chick pea flour
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 tsp asafetida
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 red chilli ( optional)
- 1/2 tsp white sesame seeds ( optional)
- In a pan add the besan red chilli powder and dry roast on a low flame just for 1 minute. The besan will be fragrant and then you stop. ( learned this technique from Here .Trasnfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Clean the same pan, add 2 tbsp oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds, red chilli and do the tadka.
- Add the bell peppers, turmeric powder, salt and cook on medium heat. cook for about 2-3 mins till the peppers are half done.
- Add asafetida, little salt, and 1/3 cups water to the besan, chilli powder mixture and make into a thick paste.
- Add this paste to the bell pepper and stir frequently so the besan coats the peppers.
- Let in cook on medium flame till the besan gets crispy, stirring not too frequently.
- Turn the heat off and serve hot with rice/ phulkas!