Quick breads were discovered here in America. This includes anything that uses a leavening agent other than yeast. They get their name coz you don't wait for the yeast to help raise the bread. They were popular during the period of great depression.
You may wonder why i mention this now? please don't read between the lines!
Here is a perfect quick bread for the holiday season. I wanted to make cranberry and orange muffins and had bookmarked a few. Most of the recipes used fresh cranberries. I was a little reluctant to use fresh ones due to their tartness. I was pretty sure my kids would not eat them. I used craisins which are dried sweetened cranberries. I used 1/4 cup OJ from the orange I zested and 1/4 cup store brought OJ. The reason being, i spilled the fresh OJ! The zest and the fresh OJ gives it a nice fragrance and the whole house smelled fabulous while baking!
Feel free to replace fresh cranberries
- 1 &1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter, at room temperature ( if from fridge, nuke it for 30 secs)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup dried Cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 large Eggs
- Pre heat oven to 350 C
- add 2 tbsp of flour to the cranberries, walnuts and mix well. this helps them from not sinking at the bottom of the bread.
- Mix salt, baking powder, flour and keep aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar well.
- Add the eggs and cream them well. I used only a whisk!
- Add the OJ, zest, flour, cranberries, walnuts and fold in well till everything is well incorporated.
- make sure you don't beat them too much as it make your bread very tough.
- Pour it in a loaf pan, (i used foil one) and bake for about 50 mins or till a tooth pick comes clean.
The same batter can be used to make muffins too. I baked 4 of them and it takes about 15 mins to bake them.
Enjoy it any time and share it with your friends.
I am taking this to work tomorrow for everyone to relish!
Also check out my Cranberry Salsa , which is to die for!
I am sending this bread for Breakfast Club and this event