Thenkuzhal is usually amde with rice flour and urad dal flour. I found this recipe at Priya's website and had book marked it. I used a different mould and made them as thenkuzhal.
They were so crunchy at the same time melt in your mouth and was unbelievably good. I replaced butter with vegetable spread/ margarine and the results were pretty good too!
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup pottukadalai flour
- 1 tbsp vegetable spread ( used kroger brand I cannot believe it's butter)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafetida
- salt to taste
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp water
- Oil to deep fry
- Sift both the flours so lumps are there.
- Add salt, cumin seeds, asafetida, salt to taste to the flour.
- Add water little by little and for ma dough till it leaves the sides. Do not add all the water at once.
- Heat oil in a pan to deep fry.
- Once hot, fill the dough in the murukku press and make shapes of little discs.
- Deep fry till all the bubbles settle and nice golden color. The right consistency is when you hear a little rustling noise from the deep fired items.
Beware, once you start eating them, you cannot stop with 1 or 2! Enjoy at tea time!