Now is the best time to enjoy soup when the days are dull, cold and gloomy. Having said that we had spring like temperatures today. I am not complaining, but you can still enjoy this creamy soup anytime. I was inspired by Ellie krieger to make this creamy soup. It's very low in calories and very hearty too. I gave it a twist by adding some coconut milk. The fresh basil at the end boosts the flavor a ton. I am a big fan of cilantro, but basil gives it a unique flavor. I made this soup 2 weeks ago but did'nt have time to blog it. I made mine a little runny, but you can make it very creamy if you decrease the water. the ground corn gives the creaminess for this soup.
If you want a chinese twist, add some soy sauce, chilli sauce, but remember to cut down the salt :))
So, get your soup pots and get going!
- 1 cup frozen corn ( thawed)
- 1/4 cup warm milk (1%)
- 1 & 1/2 cup diced veggies ( potato, carrot, red and orange bell pepper)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 green chillies
- 1 rsp chopped ginger
- 1 clove of garlic
- salt as needed
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/3 cup water to used used in small increments ( can be replaced with vegetable broth)
- 3 tbsp coconut milk powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add the coconut milk powder to the warm milk and whisk till well blended.
- In a blender puree the corn with the milk, coconut milk combo till creamy and set aside.
- In a pan heat oil, add the onion, garlic and saute till the onions are translucent.
- Add the chilli, ginger and fry for few seconds.
- Add the diced vegetables saute for few mins, add little salt and very little water just enough to cook the vegetables.
- Add the creamy corn puree.
- If the soup is too thick add a little water to to your desired consistency
- season with salt and black pepper as needed.
- Let it come just to boil and turn the heat off.
- Add roughly chopped basil leaves and serve hot with soft roll or a salad.