This is a traditional sweet dish made during the month of Marghazhi/ dec to jan. Akka adisil is vey authentic in Iyengar cuisine in the south. It is similar to chakkara pongal except the rice and moong dal is cooked with lots of milk and jaggery.
My mom used to make this sugar and saffron and it gives a very pleasing color. It's so creamy rich and out of this world.
So here is the recipe!
- 3/4 measure raw rice
- 1/4 measure moong dal
- 3 cups 1% milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- A pinch of saffron
- 1 tsp. cardamom powder
- 1/2 - 1 cup ghee
- 1 tbsp. chopped cashews and golden raisins.
- In a pan, dry roast the moong dal till they are pink.
- Once the moong dal is cooled, add 3 cups of milk and rice & pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- In another pan, add sugar and just enough water to cover the sugar.
- Let the sugar boil for 10 minutes till it forms a thick syrup. Now add saffron to the syrup.
- Mash the cooked rice/dal mixture and add it to the sugar syrup.
- Add ghee, little by little, to the rice/dal mixture and stir it till it leaves the sides.
- Turn the heat off.
- In a pan, add a little bit of ghee and fry the cashews & raisins till golden brown and add it to the adisil.
- Garnish with cardamom powder and enjoy!!!
Tell me what do you think of this akkara adisil with sugar.