I have not blogged in a while and am happy to come back and share a lip smacking recipe with you all. It is fall season and there are plenty of apples every where. I have made a lot of recipes using my instant pot and pressure cooker. You would have seen them on face book pages if you are in those instant pot for indian and OPOS group. Here I am today sharing a mouth watering south indian thokku using green apples or granny smith apple. My mom made them once when she visited the US. She grated the apples and made them like a mango thokku. I was lazy to grate and all and dumped them all in the instant pot and make this thokku.
They are a perfect combination with curd rice, idli, dosa, chapathi or on toast.
- Green Apple 4, washed, cored and cut into chunks
- 10-12 dried red chilli
- Salt 2-3 tsp or per taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp asafoetida
- 1/4 cup gingelly oil( one can use canola too)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp brown sugar ( optional)
- 1 tsp methi seeds, dry roasted on low flame and pounded
- Turn IP to saute. Add all the oil. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Tear apart the red chilli and add to the oil.
- Add the turmeric, hing, apples brown sugar and give a toss.
- Cancel saute
- Cover the IP, turn the weight to sealing and cook on manual for 15 mins. Let the pressure release naturally
- With your immersion blender pulse several times in the pot till the chili is blended.
- Turn on saute, and let it simmer for 10-15 mins till thickened. It will splatter a little. So use any lid to cover. Add the roasted methi seeds powder.