Puff Pastry sheets are one of the best ready made baking items that you could get here! Saw the recipe for spinach swirls on the back of the box, but did not care much to do it.
It is unbelievebly easy to make, although the final product gives an impression that you slogged!
Very easy afterschool/ tea time snack that could be prepared in no time and satisfy hungry kids and adults.
Get ready: ( makes 10 swirls)
- Puff pastry sheet
- melted butter to brush
For the paneer filling:
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp grated carrot
- 2 tbsp crumbled paneer
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
Add 1 tsp oil in a pan.
add the onions and fry till golden
add the carrots and saute for few mins.
add the crumbled paneer, all the powders, salt to taste.
cook for few mins and turn the heat off.
To assemble the paneer swirls:
- Pre heat oven to 400F
- Linea baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Dust a working surface with flour.
- Open the puff pastry sheet and even it out with a dusted rolling pin.
- Spread ketchup as a thin layer on the pastry sheet leaving about 1/2 inch on all four sides.
- add the paneer filling and spread it evenly on the ketchup.
- from the side closer to you roll it tight like a jelly roll.
- seal the edges with a little water. this is the seam side
- Turn the seam side down and cut them into 1/2 inch think slices.
- arrange them on the baking sheet
- Brush the swirls with either milk or egg wash ( 1 beaten egg with 1 tbsp of water) to get a golden color after baking.
For the Nutella swirls:
- chopped pistachios
- Brush the pastry sheet with melted butter
- spread nutella on top and leave 1/2 inch on all 4 sides.
- add any chopped nuts like macadamia, walnuts on top of the nutella
- Roll in the same away as desribed above and seal.
- Cut into 1/2 inch slices
- arrange on baking sheet
- do the milk/ egg wash
- Bake all of them for 12- 15 mins till they are golden
Allow to cool for few mins
Serve with any chutney or ketchup
Enjoy with a cup of chai!