Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Veggie Nuggets.. Leave the chicken alone!
Evening snack should be a easy one to make and not taking your whole time between, tennis lessons, nap times etc etc. This is a very easy and no brainer recipie for veggie nuggets.
Why should all the vegeterian kids look dazed when their friend are always gobbling chicken nuggets.
I am sure you don't even want to look at the oil in which they are fried in most of the fast food restaraunts.
You can get a much better tasting nugget at home with less oil.
You can basically add any vegetable you want in this recipie. No fuss about measurements! It all depends on your taste.
This is what I used.:
1/2 Russet potato
2 handfull of frozen mixed vegetables ( peas, corn, carrot and some beans)
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp jeera powder
1/2 tsp Coriander powder
Textured vegetable protein a hand full
salt to taste
For the batter:
5 tsp cornfloour
2 tsp all purpose flour
water to consistency
alt to taste
Corn flakes Coarsely Powdered.
1. Wash the potato and cut into chunks. Nuke it ina bowl of water till soft. Drain water, let the potatoes cool and peel them. nash them well with a fork.
2. Cook all the frozen vegetables separately. soak the vegetable protein in hot water and drain the water after 15 mins. squeeze all the water again by pressing in your palm.
3.add them to the potato and mash lightly.
4.Add all the spices and salt to taste.
5. Mix cornflour, APF with water to thick batter thickness adding water little by little.
6. add salt to taste to the batter., Keep it ina bowl
7. Take the powdered corn flakes ina bowl.
8. Make small balls from the potato mixture and shape into a nugget or whatever shape you want.
9. Dunk them in the batter and then roll them in the corn flakes.
10. Keep them on a plate and place in the fridge for 30 mins. This helps them to keep their shape when fried.
11. After 30 mins take the nuggis out.
12. Heat oil in a skillet and shallow fry the nuggets till golden brown on both sides.
13. Serve hot with Ketchup.
Your little ones and of course you will love this.
I made 25 nuggets and I had more potato mixture left. I saved it so i can make potato sandwich for lunch box the next day.
It tasted like aloo tikki with vegetables.