I recently saw a pic of a stuffed bell pepper on FB on my friends page. I asked her what it was stuffed with and she said " Potato Podimas" ( aka potato crumble) ! I was very intrigued by that and could not wait to try it.
To my limited knowledge, i have seen bell peppers stuffed with rice, cheese and all kinds of things which did not catch my attention. This one surely did! I did some online search and found that majority of them cooked the bell pepper on a tawa. I wanted to bake it and see. So, here I am with a recipe for stuffed bell peppers, baked and cooked on a tawa. I liked both versions and the tawa ones have a little smokier flavor.
You can add garlic, paneeer, carrots, green chiili to the stuffing as per your taste.
These stuffed peppers are so wholesome as a meal themselves. it also depends on the size of the bell pepper. Our whole family liked it and let us get to the recipe!
- 3 bell pepper ( i used green and orange)
- 3 large potatoes, cooked, peeled and crumbled
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- chopped cilantro
- salt to taste.
To make the potato stuffing:
- Peel and crumble the cooked potatoes and set aside
- In a pan add 1 tbsp of oil and when hot add the cumin seeds
- when they crackle, add the onions and saute till they are translucent.
- Add the green peas and saute for 1-2 mins
- Add the crumbled potatoes, salt , red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder and fold the mall well.
- If it gets too try sprinkle a little water, reduce the heat and cook on medium flame till all the spices get incorporated in the potato.
- Check your spice level and if needed add chilli powder or garam masala as per taste.
- Finally add the cilantro, turn the heat off and set aside to cool a little
The stuffing is ready.
To stuff the bell pepper.
- Wash and dry the bell peppers.
- With a sharp knife, remove the pith of the pepper and dump the seeds inside. You will just have a whole on the top of the pepper.
- the other method is to cut off the top of the pepper like a lid and set aside. remove some of the white fibers and seeds from the inside of the bell pepper.
- Apply a little salt to the inside of the bell pepper and this enhances the flavor.
- The peppers are ready to be stuffed.
- With a spoon stuff the potato podimas inside the peppers pressing down.
To bake them:
- Pre heat an oven to 300 degree C
- Line a baking tray with foil and spray with cooking spray
- Apply oil to the outer surface of the bell pepper
- Bake for 30 -40 mins depending on your oven till the bell peppers is soft and and cooked.
- Make sure to flip them over in between so all sides are cooked well.
To Pan cook
- In a tawa, add 1 tbsp pf oil.
- Place the stuffed pepper in the pan, cover and cook for 3 mins on low to medium flame.
- Flip them around 360 degrees every 2-3 mins till all sides are cooked well. If you like a little charred taste, Uncover and cook longer if you want it crispy.
- Turn the heat off till all sides are cooked.
Serve hot with rice or as a one pot meal!
In my picture, the one on the plate is the tawa cooked one and the other two with the yellow bell pepper is oven cooked.