Any one who has tasted the M &S carrot chutney and Wensleydale cheese sandwich will elaborately tell you how good that one is! It is one of their best vegetarian sandwiches, hands down! i wish supermarkets here carried nice vegetarian sandwiches as the ydo in M & S, Sainsbury or Tesco!
The US markets have really limited options for vegetarian sandwiches !
I wanted to re create that sandwich here, but could not find any recipes on line. I was not sure what the equivalent of wensleydale cheese would be. After looking through the online resources, I came with this recipe and decided to substitute cheddar cheese for wensleydale cheese.
I open my fridge and found that I have only cheddar and colby grated cheese. I used what I had and am very pleased with the sandwich. My variations were
* I used some grated ginger with carrots
*used some red chilli powder
*used less sugar , as my chutney had a little zing from the ginger and was not too sweet.
*used some cilantro
*made a sandwich and a wrap
So Here is the recipe
For the sweet chutney
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 -2 tsp grated ginger ( optional)
- salt to taste
- 2 tsps dark brown sugar
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1-2 tsp water
- 1 tsp ghee
To assemble sandwich
Cheddar cheese chopped/ grated
cilantro ( optional)
- In a pan, add the ghee . Once hot add the carrot and ginger and slight toss them around till fragrant.
- Now sprinkle some water, add required salt ,chilli powder and cook covered on a low flame.
- Add water little by little as needed till the carrots are soft.
- Add the brown sugar.
- The carrot mixture will be gooey.
- Cook stirring in between till the chutney comes around together leaving the sides of the pan, within 3-5 mins.
- Turn the heat off and let it allow to cool.
To assemble the sandwich
- Apply a thin layer of mayo on both sides of bread.
- spread the sweet carrot chutney on one side. sprinkle cheese on top of the chutney.
- you can add cilantro, or lettuce or baby spinach on top of the cheese
- cover with another bread , cut and serve.
To make it as a wrap, use a flour tortilla. spread the mayo in circle, add the carrot chutney and greens of your choice. roll tightly, cut diagonally and serve.
Enjoy this lunch with some chips, yogurt or fuit!
A perfect sandwich for luch, birthday parties, back yard parties or book club gatherings.