Here is a very easy one pot meal for a week night dinner. The fresh smell of mint will remove all your stress y after a long day at work or managing your home.
I used a pressure pan, but you can cook the initial step in a pan and then cook the rice with all the other ingredients in a rice cooker too.
- 1 large carrot washed, peeled & grated
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- A handful of fresh mint leaves
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 green chilli slit
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp ghee/ clarified butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 green cards on
- 1 clove
- 1 small bay leaf
- 2 points of star anise
- 1 tbsp chopped cashews
- In a small Pressure cooker or pan, add the ghee and olive oil. add the the ingredients under temper to the oil. once the the cashews turn golden, add the sliced onions and green chili.
- Saute till the onions are translucent.
- Add the grated carrots, peas, cumin powder, red chilli powder and toss them.
- Add the dry rice, water, salt to taste and mix.
- Adjust salt level, and then throw in the mint leaves.
- Cover and cook for 1 whistle and then simmer for 3-4 mins.
- Open the cooker once the steam is released.
- Serve hot with raita, papad or chips!
Variations : Add garlic, cilantro instead of mint leaves and using some coconut milk plus water to cook the rice.
Any left overs, are you kidding me?