Hello my dearies! How is the week going for you all?
Plantain or raw banana is not something i frequently cook with. They are either too ripe or I will my chance to pick them up from Indian store when the shipment comes.
I got hold of some recently and wanted to make a podimas which my mom used to make.
Tastes good with sambar/ rasam/ pulissery rice.
Tried my hands on taking pics while cooking, not the best though!
Get Ready ( serves 2-4 )
- 2 raw banana/ plantain/ vazhakkai
- 2 tbsp channa dal
- 1 dried red chilli ( more if you want the heat)
- 1 tsp grated coconut ( optional)
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- pinch of asafetida
- 1 tsp mustard seeds/ kadugu
- 1 tsp urad dal/ ulutham paruppu
- few curry leaves ( optional)
- Wash, top and tail the plantain
- Cook the plantain in water with skin for approximately 10 mins. It should not get too soft/ mushy
- Drain the water and let the plantain cool completely. This is very important.
- In a pan add a little oil and roast the dried red chilli, channal dal till golden and fragrant. Set aside.
- Powder the roast dal, red chilli with some asafetida and optional coconut into a coarse powder. set aside
- Once the plantains cool thoroughly, peel the skin off.
- Grate the plantain and set aside.
- In a pan, add the oil and do the tadka with mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Add the grated plantain, powdered spice mix. salt to taste.
- Gentle toss them all till incorporated.
- Sprinkle some water, cover and cook for 1-2 mins.
- Turn the heat off and serve hot with rice, sambar or pulissery aka more kuzhambu.