No lunch packing, i mean, how cool is that?
My son has always favored home packed lunch and i am always on the look out for new ideas.
Poha/ beaten rice/ flattened rice/ Aval is an easy snackable item in Indian kitchens. They absorb water and can used for sweet and spicy dishes. This one is an easy snack/ tiffin item that would be liked by the old and not so old!
So, Here we go....
- 1 cup poha / Aval / flattened Rice
- 1 tablespoon Peanuts
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 small green chillies slit
- 1 medium sized potato peeled and small cubed
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds/ kadugu
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds/ jeera
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- Wash the poha under running water 2-3 times. Add water just to cover the poha and let it sit for a minute.
- Drain the water completely from the poha after a minute. Add a pinch of salt, gently toss. Cover with a lid and set aside for 20 mins.
- Cook potatoes in water in a microwave safe bowl for 5-6 mins till they are soft, but not mushy .
- In a pan add oil, once hot add the mustard seeds. After they pop add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add peanuts, asafetida and fry till peanuts are golden.
- Add the onions, green chillies and sauté till onions are golden bad well done.
- Add the cooked potatoes to the sautéed onions and cook for 30 secs.
- Reduce the heat.
- Add turmeric powder, poha, salt, sugar and gently toss all together. Cover and cook on low flame for a minute or two.
- Adjust salt/ sugar according to taste.
- Turn the heat off, garnish with lots of chopped cilantro.
Enjoy for breakfast , lunch or evening snack with some coffee or tea.