Vegetable pot pie is one of the items offered in my toddler's daycare lunch menu. She does not care to eat that as much as mac and cheese or pizza! She makes so much fuss to eat rice, rasam curry etc but put a slice of pizza in front of her, it will be gobbled up with no squeaks! Ever since I saw that on her menu, I wanted to recreate the same one at home. I made them in small ramekins so it would be a perfect after school snack for my older one! It's a great way to clear your freezer or left over vegetables. Puff pastry sheet makes it look so grand and would be a family pleaser.
If you want a real kicker, spice it up more!
Get Ready: (makes 3 small ramekins)
- 1/2 Puff pastry sheet
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 & 1/2 cup Mixed veggies chopped ( used carrots, potatoes, beans, corn, cauli florets and zucchini)
- 1 tsp sambar powder/ curry powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp butter
- 1& 1/2 tsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese ( optional)
For the egg was ( optional)
1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water
- Thaw your puff pastry sheet as per package instructions. cut 1/2 from one sheet and freeze the remainder tightly covered in foil
- On a floured surface spread the sheet, seal any cracks with a little water and cut them into rectangles.
- Pre heat oven to 400F
- In a pan add the butter
- saute the onions till soft.
- Add the veggies, sambar powder, salt to taste. Cover and cook on low fire till they are soft, yet a little crisp.
- Sprinkle and flour on the veggies and saute for few seconds.
- Add the milk and let it come to a boil. this will give a thick gravy base.
- Add the cheddar cheese and turn the heat off.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into ramekins filling most of the ramekins.
- Cover the ramekins with puff pastry sheet and tuck the edges.
- Give a quick egg wash and bake till golden for 12- 15 mins.
Sobha of Good food was so sweet to share some awesome awards with me. Thanks a million girl and you rock!
I am happy to pass it on to all my blogger friends as I love you all!
Thanks again Sobha for your kind gesture!