Kuzhipaniyaram is a very popular snack from the chettinad cuisine. Karaikudi in Tamil Nadu is the main town of chettinad area accompanied by multiple villages. Chettinadu is famous for its spicy cuisine, mansions and temples.
Paniyaram can be made either sweet or as a savory item. Here is an easy version to make a savory kuzhi paniyaram with idli/ dosa batter. All you need is a special pan to fry it. Most south indians carry a appa karal or appe pan which could be used to make kuzhipaniyarams.
Serve these with a spicy onion/ coconut or tomato chutney and wash it with a hot cup of coffee.
- 1 and 1/2 cup idli/ dosa batter
- 1/3 cup finely minced onions
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 1 tsp ginger chopped
- 2 tbsp grated carrots
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustartd seeds
- 1/4 tsp urad dal
- asafetida a pinch
- curry leaves few
- cilantro few
- salt to taste
- oil to shallow fry.
- In a pan add a tsp oil and do the tadka with mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, asafetida.
- Add the onions and fry till translucent. turn the heat off
- To the dosa batter add the sauted onion, carrots, chilli, ginger, salt to taste, cilantro.
- If it's too watery, add few spoons of rawa/ sooji to thicken it. if too thick add a little water.
- Put the appa karal on low medium heat. add a drop of oil to the holes in the karal and wipe with a tissue.
- Now add a big drop of oil to the holes.
- add the batter into the paniyaram holes till it is almost full.
- Cook on low heat.
- Using a chopstick or a skewer, flip them over.
- Cook till they are crispy and golden-brown on both sides.
- Serve hot with any chutney of your choice or pickle.