I have posted couple of karela / pagakka recipes Stuffed karela, karela fry
This recipe was shared by my friend, and I have tried it couple of times and comes out very tasty. I have used 6 small karelas. There is no recipe as such, the addition of all masala powders are per your taste. Me and my husband really enjoyed this and.
- 5-6 karelas washed
For the marinade:
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 -2 tsp red chili powder
- 1-2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp amchur powder (optional)
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Line a baking sheet with foil and brush a table spoon of oil. Set this aside.
- Scrape / peel the outer ridges of the karela. You can omit this step if you don't care for a little more bitterness. You can either discard the scrapings or use it in the marinade as well.
- Cut the karelas in half and scoop out the seeds using a spoon.
- Cut the karelas in thin circles.
- In a bowl add the circular slices of karela, all the ingredients under marinade and toss them all well with clean hands. You want the marinade to fully coat the karelas.
- Adjust salt and spices as per taste.
- Cover this and let it marinate on the counter for 20-30 mins
- Spread the karelas on the lined baking sheet and bake them for 20-30 mins or until crisp.
- Remove from the oven and serve. If you want crispier, let the karelas sit in the oven for few more minutes after you turn the oven off.
Tastes great with rice, by itself as a munching snack and with yogurt.
Try this and tell me if you like it.