Thayir vadai is a classic dish of the south! I made them recently for a get together and the vadas were absolutely melt in your mouth type. It is very easy and quick to make. Try them and enjoy with your family!
- 1 cup whole urad dal, washed and soaked in water for 4 hrs
- 1 tbsp of raw rice ( soak it with the urad dal)
- Oil to deep fry
- A few sprigs of curry leaves
- A bowl warm warm
For the thayir/ dahi
- 1-2 cups of plain yogurt ( preferably the ones that is not sour)
- 2 tbsp fresh grated coconut or frozen grated coconut
- 1 small piece of ginger
- 3/4 jalpeno chopped
- salt to taste
- Plenty of cilantro finely chopped
- finely grated carrots 1/4 cup
- Nylon sev/ Bhoondhi ( store bought)
- In a blender pulse the coconut, green chilli, and ginger.
- Add this to the yogurt with required amount of salt and whisk them well. Keep it aside.If it is too thick add a little water.
- In a wet grinder add very little water at a time and grind the urad dal till nice and fluffy. use ice cold water while grinding the urad dal. using ice cold water is more useful if you are using a regular blender.
- Add some asafetida, few torn curry leaves and required salt to the urad dal batter. heat oul and make them into small vadas. if you are having trouble mkaing holes in the vada, add them just like round balls and deep fry them till they are golden. Fry all the vadas and set aside.
- Add the fried vadas to a bowl of water. Let them sit for a 5-6 secsonds. With the back of 2 spoons, squeeze the water from the vadas and arrange them in the bowl you are going to serve. use a wide pan.
- Once all the vadas are arranged, pour the yogurt that you have mixed on top of the vadas.
- Garnish with cilantro, carrot etc and keep refrigerated.
- Before serving add the sev/ bhoondhi.
Let me know if you try it and like it!