Cauliflower is a favorite vegetable in our household. Here is a very easy and quick recipe to do any time and enjoy with the family. I have made it with no onion or garlic. But, you can add onion, garlic and other vegetables like cubed potatoes, carrots and peas to the cauliflower.
Try it and let me know if you and your family liked it.
- 1 cauliflower washed and separated into small florets
- 1/2 can hunt's tomato sauce ( or any tomato purée)
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger ( optional)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp jeera/ cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafetida
- 2 tsp coriander powder / dhaniya powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Generous amount of chopped cilantro
- In a thick bottomed pan, add the oil. When oil is hot do the tadka with the jeera and grated ginger
- Once the jeera crackles, add the tomato puree. Be careful as it will splutter everywhere. Cover for a few seconds.
- Open the lid, add the turmeric powder, dhaniya powder ,asfafetida, garam masala to the tomato puree and mix.
- Cook the tomato puree covered for 3-5 mins.
- Add the cauliflower florets, salt to taste and toss the cauliflower well in the tomato mixture till all pieces are coated.
- Reduce flame, and cook the cauliflower covered. The florets will get cooked in the steam.
- Open lid and stir intermittently so the cauliflower does not get burnt. If it gets too dry, sprinkle some water, cover and cook.
- Once you cook the cauliflower to the desired consistency, open lid and cook for few more minutes
- Add the cilantro and turn the heat off.
Serve with rice, paratha or roti and enjoy.