Bell Peppers are on sale now and I picked up a bag of these mini peppers from safeway. I like to eat them raw with humus. What do you like to eat them with as a snack?
I made a quick thogayal with this and some coconut and it was pretty good. Our family enjoyed this with some steaming rice, ghee and okra fry.
Here is the very simple recipe for it. You can use sauted onions and garlic instead of the coconut. I used 2 long red chillies, as my family does not eat very spicy food. But if you like spicy thogayal, u can use 4 red chillies.
- Mini bell peppers ( red, orange) 5
- 2 red chillies
- 1/4 cup broken urad dal
- 3 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp asafetida powder
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 1-1 & 1/2 tsp salt or per taste.
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds/ kadugu
- wash the peppers, remove the stem cut in them in big chunks and set aside.
- In a pan add 1/2 tsp oil and roast the red chillies and urad dal till the chillies are shiny and the dal is golden brown. set aside to cool.
- In the same pan, add a drop of oil and add the peppers. saute them and cook till they are soft but still crunchy. turn the heat off and set them aside to cool.
- In a blender add the sauted peppers, red chilli, asafetida, tamarind, salt to taste and coconut and grind them till coarse. add a little water if it is dry.
- Add the urad dal and the end and grind them again to desired consistency. I like my thogayal with a little crunchy urad dal pieces in them.
- In the same pan that you sauted the peppers, add a little oil and to the tadka with mustard seeds.
Serve hot with rice, idli, dosa, pongal, chapathi or spread on toast and enjoy!