Here is an ultimate payasam/ kheer from Kerala. Palada Pradhaman is made with paal (milk), Ada ( partially cooked rice wafers). Ada pradhaman can be made with jaggery and coconut milk too. But My favorite is the milkier version.
You cook the ada in milk and get it reduced. Palada pradhaman has a milky flavor and takes some time to cook. But, let me tell you it is worth that time!
I had bought a packet of Ada from India which I used. I have not seen them in the grocery stores in USA. We enjoyed this for this Vishu/ Tamil new years's day!
Here is the recipe!
- 5 cups 2% Milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup Ada
- 1 can Condensed milk
- Sugar to taste ( i used 4- 5 tsp at the end)
- Cook the ada as per packet instructions. Boil 2 cups of water. turn the heat off and add the ada. cover and let it stand for 20 -25 mins. drain and set aside.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan, i used a small pressure cooker without lid.
- Add the 5 cups of milk, 1 cup of water, drained ada to the pan.
- keep stirring to avoid burning of milk. It will start to boil over. reduce heat and cook by stirring.
- milk has to reduce to almost half it's volume. This may take 25 -30 mins.
- Add the can of condensed milk and stir well.
- Add sugar as desired for taste.
- Let it come to a boil and turn the heat off.
No need for garnishing with cardamon, cashews etc.
serve warm or cold.